December 2016 | by Richard Jones
July 2016 marked the release for industry comments of the first set of documents that define CIP v7. While v7 drafting has only just begun, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC)
driving requests and this initial release indicate that v7 will not move the needle significantly further than v5 in reducing the risk of:
- A compromise to a utility’s business operations.
- A disruption of service to its customers.
- A failure to sufficiently protect the utility’s entire portfolio of assets.
In addition, the first document attempts to address two important elements of CIP-003-7:
- Clarifying terminology for low impact network connectivity.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of the current CIP Senior Manager definition.
Given the information released to date, it remains uncertain if v7 will improve security or just add complexity for utilities.
Links to past articles, in-the-news postings and press releases can be found here.